Homeopathic medication offers a gentle approach to easing cold and flu symptoms when compared to most over-the-counter (OTC) cold/flu medications. Many people find these leading OTC medications too harsh on their system, causing side effects like drowsiness or jitters. One such homeopathic medication is Oscillococcinum®, which you may have seen at your local pharmacy. If you’ve heard of this remedy, you may be wondering if it’s really made from duck heart and liver. Does it have any side effects? Explore how Brillia Health measures up to this popular homeopathic medication and what you should know about the ingredients found in each.
What Is Brillia Health?
Brillia Health is a non-prescription homeopathic medication that offers safe and targeted results for common illnesses like flus, coughs, and colds. Through groundbreaking antibody science, Brillia Health products are clinically proven to shorten the duration of illness while reducing symptoms like congestion, cough, body aches, and sore throat without harsh chemicals, animal byproducts, or harmful side effects.
How Brillia Health Works: Uses, Ingredients & Benefits
When we are sick with a virus or subjected to allergens we are particularly sensitive to, our body releases proteins that attach to enzymes and instigate a variety of symptoms, from coughing and congestion to body aches. Brillia Health products contain antibodies, which are highly specific molecules that attach to these proteins so that they cannot attach to their targeted enzymes, gently and effectively stopping this instigation of symptoms altogether. Both of our products, Cold-Flu Recovery and Cough Control, are designed to reduce cold, flu, and cough severity while helping you recover faster as verified in numerous clinical studies.
Unlike many over-the-counter cold and flu medications that simply mask illness or provide a placebo effect, Brillia Health products effectively address the root cause of symptoms for faster relief without any harmful side effects. Brillia Health products are so safe that prescriptions are not necessary and the medication is also approved for children. (Cold-Flu Recovery is approved for anyone over age one, while Cough Control is recommended for anyone over age three.)
The active ingredients in Brillia Health products are targeted antibodies, which attach directly to the proteins your body releases when responding to a virus or allergen, without affecting any other systems of the body.
The ingredients in Cold-Flu Recovery are:
- Lapine Histamine immune globulin: The Cold-Flu Recovery formulation uses this antibody to histamine to reduce congestion and sore, itchy throat.
- Lapine CD4 immune globulin: This antibody targets immune cells, helping them to fight off viral infections faster and more effectively.
- Lapine interferon gamma immune globulin: This antibody recruits more immune cells to shorten the duration of illness more efficiently.
The ingredients in Cough Control are:
- Lapine Histamine immune globulin: Like the Cold-Flu Recovery product, Cough Control also uses this antibody to target histamines and reduce symptoms like sore throat, wet cough, and fluid buildup in lungs.
- Lapine Bradykinin immune globulin: This antibody binds to bradykinin to reduce the coughing reflex.
- Lapine Morphine immune globulin: Not to be confused with the narcotic morphine, this antibody functions by blocking pain signals to the brain and reducing the overall stress that coughing places on the body.
Instead of dampening your system with harsh chemicals, Brillia Health products work with your body to address the root cause of symptoms, safely providing relief without impacting any other systems in the body. The medication can also be taken with any other medication or supplement and not cause dangerous interactions. The easy-dissolve tablets can be taken by the whole family and are clinically proven to reduce severity and duration of illness.
What Is Oscillococcinum?
Oscillococcinum is a homeopathic medicine used to temporarily treat flu-like symptoms such as body aches, headache, chills, fever, and fatigue. It is said to shorten the duration of illness when it is taken at the first sign of symptoms, though there are mixed results in clinical studies.1 The medication consists of small pellets that should be held under the tongue until dissolved.
medicine for a faster recovery.
SHOP BRILLIA HEALTH
How Oscillococcinum Works: Uses, Ingredients, & Benefits
Oscillococcinum, which is made from the heart and liver of a certain kind of duck, is said to contain specific compounds that can help fight symptoms of the flu. But some people have likened the homeopathic remedy to a mere sugar pill because of the insufficient evidence around its efficacy.2 A 2015 review of six studies showed no significant difference between Oscillococcinum and a placebo in the prevention of influenza.3 And a more positive study showed that the medication only reduced illness duration by seven hours.4
The active ingredient in Oscillococcinum is Anas barbariae 200CK, which is made from the heart and liver of wild duck. This heart and liver extract is heavily diluted with water and alcohol, 200 times of a 1 percent solution to be exact.5 It was created during the 1920s by a French physician named Joseph Roy, who believed he had discovered a type of “oscillating” bacterium in people with the Spanish flu. Using the homeopathic notion that “like cures like” Roy determined that this type of bacteria could be beneficial in the treatment of the flu and potentially other ailments, though these comments have been regarded as highly controversial.
Though Oscillococcinum remains controversial and has mixed results in terms of efficacy, one benefit of taking the medication may have to do with the placebo effect. For instance, in one comprehensive review, though no evidence was found to suggest that Oscillococcinum could effectively prevent or treat the flu, people taking the medication were more likely to find treatment effective.6 Like Brillia, Oscillococcinum is also a non-prescription medication that can be found at most local pharmacies, making the medication highly accessible.
When to Take Brillia Health vs. Oscillococcinum
In comparison to Oscillococcinum, Brillia Health products are clinically proven to reduce the severity and duration of illness without relying on the placebo effect. When suffering from a cold, flu, or cough, it is recommended to take Cold-Flu Recovery or Cough Control at the first sign of symptoms while prioritizing sleep, hydration, and good hygiene to support your immune system and slow the spread.
Pros & Cons of Each
Despite both being homeopathic medications that can be bought over the counter to address cold/flu symptoms, there are some important differences between these two medications summed up in the pros and cons below.
Pros and Cons of Brillia Health products:
- Pro: Free from harsh, synthetic chemicals and harmful side effects like drowsiness, upset stomach, or jitteriness
- Pro: Can be taken with any other medication or supplement
- Con: Brillia Health is only sold online to offer customers the best pricing as well as a money-back guarantee. All orders placed before 12 pm PST are shipped the same weekday afternoon for speedy delivery.
Pros and Cons of Oscillococcinum:
- Pro: Has a low risk of side effects; will not induce drowsiness
- Pro: Can be found in most pharmacies and grocery stores
- Pro: Placebo effect has resulted in positive results in some studies
- Con: Most experts believe that it will have no beneficial or harmful effects.7
- Con: Per WebMD, when taken by mouth Oscillococcinum is possibly safe when taken three times daily for up to three days. But cases of severe swelling, including swelling of the tongue, and headache have been reported after taking Oscillococcinum.8
- Con: Oscillococcinum is not recommended for children under age two
Get a whole bunch of wellness
right in your inbox.